Harris a manufacturer of electronics and communications systems, uses a service department charge system to charge profit centers with Computing and Communications Services (CCS) service department costs. The following table identifies an abbreviated list of service categories and activity bases used by the CCS department. The table also includes some assumed cost and activity base quantity information for each service for April.
One of the profit centers for Harris is the Communication Systems (COMM) sector. Assume the following information for the COMM sector:
● The sector has 3,000 employees, of whom 40% are office employees.
● All the office employees have a phone, and 75% of them have a computer on the network.
● Ninety-five percent of the employees with a computer also have an e-mail account.
● The average number of help desk calls for April was 1.0 call per individual with a computer.
● There are 250 additional printers, servers, and peripherals on the network beyond the personal computers.
(a) Determine the service charge rate for the four CCS service categories for April.
(b) Determine the charges to the COMM sector for the four CCS service categories for April.